Eggs are irresistible appetizer served at picnics and parties. They can be tempting, but the reason people try to resist them has nothing to do with the devil.
Thankfully, you can do away with the unhealthy aspects of devilled eggs by substituting mayonnaise with avocado. Its creamy consistency and rich, savory flavor perfectly mimic mayonnaise (minus the inflammatory soybean and canola oils).
Using avocado adds many other benefits as well. On average, one avocado has dozens of vitamins and minerals:
- 13 grams of fiber or over 52 percent of the daily value, making it a perfect food for those following a high fiber diet
- 33 percent of the daily value for vitamin C, which helps boost immunity
- over 50 percent of the daily value for potassium, which is important for a healthy heart
- 41 percent of the daily value for folate, which helps repair DNA
- 28 percent of the daily value for vitamin B 5, which plays a role in the adrenals
- 19.7 grams of monounsaturated or “good” fat for a healthy heart
- 4 grams of protein (6)
- This simple yet deliciously smooth and healthy recipe for no mayo devilled eggs filled with avocado was inspired by Food. It doesn’t require much time or ingredients and makes for a perfect snack or appetizer.Serves: 24Prep time: 15 minutesCook time: 5 minutes
- 12 whole eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 whole avocados
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt to taste
- Boil eggs for about 9 minutes.
- While eggs are cooking, prepare the other ingredients. Chop the fresh cilantro and chives and set aside. Peel the avocados and remove the pits. Mash the avocados in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Run the eggs under cold water and remove shells.
- Slice eggs in half and remove the yolks, placing them in the bowl with the mashed avocado. Place egg whites on a tray.
- Mix the avocado and yolks together until creamy.
- Fold fresh cilantro, chives, and salt into the avocado and yolks.
- Fill the egg whites with the avocado mix and sprinkle paprika on top.
- Chill eggs in the refrigerator before serving.